Corona Today update Report of 16th August 2020
Corona case update report released on Press Information Bureau today. India’s Recovery Rate has reached nearly 72%, with 53,322 patients recovering in the past 24 hours. India has one of the lowest mortality globally. It stands at 1.93%, as of today. Current active cases (6,77,444) are 26.16% of the total positive cases. 2.93 crore samples tested so far;; 7.46 lakh tests done in the last 24 hours. President says that after recovering from this pandemic, we will move rapidly on the path of progress and prosperity.
PIB’S DAILY BULLETIN ON COVID-19
16 AUG 2020
(Contains Press releases concerning Covid-19, issued in last 24 hours, inputs from PIB Field Offices and Fact checks undertaken by PIB)
One of the lowest globally, India’s Case Fatality Rate below 2% and sliding; Recovery Rate maintains upwards journey, nearly 72% today; COVID tests nearly 3 cr
On a continuous positive path of slide in its COVID-19 Case Fatality Rate, India has one of the lowest mortality globally. It stands at 1.93%, as of today.
India’s Recovery Rate has reached nearly 72% ensuring more and more patients are recovering. 53,322 have recovered and been discharged in the past 24 hours.With this number, the total recovered COVID-19 patients have increased to more than 18.6 lakh (18,62,258).The steady rise in recoveries has ensured that the percentage caseload of the country is reducing. The current active cases (6,77,444) compose the actual case load of the country. It is 26.16% of the total positive cases today, registering further drop in the last 24 hours. They are under active medical supervision.With efficient and aggressive testing India is rapidly moving towards completing 3 crore COVID tests; 2,93,09,703 samples tested so far. 7,46,608 tests were done in the last 24 hours.This has been made possible by a rapidly growing national network of diagnostic labs which comprises 969 labs in the government sector and 500 private labs, adding up to 1469.
Indian Railways generate more than 5.5 lakhs mandays of work under GareebKalyanRozgarAbhiyan in 6 States
Indian Railways has generated more than 5.5 lakhs mandays of work under GareebKalyanRozgarAbhiyan in 6 States viz. Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. Shri PiyushGoyal, Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry is closely monitoring the progress made in these projects and generation of work opportunities for the migrant labours of these states under this scheme. Around 165 Railway infrastructure projects are being executed in these states worth Rs.2988 Crores. Till 14th August, 2020, 11296 workers have been engaged in this Abhiyaan and the payment of Rs 1336.84 Crores has been released to the contractors for the projects being implemented.
President of India virtually unveils a portrait of Shri AtalBihari Vajpayee at ICCR Headquarters
The President of India, Shri Ram NathKovind, virtually unveiled the portrait of Shri AtalBihari Vajpayee, former Prime Minister of India today (August 16, 2020) on his second death anniversary, at the headquarters of Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).Speaking on the occasion, the President said thatAtalji was always committed to liberal thinking and democratic ideals. He left indelible mark of his unique personality and contributed a great deal during his different roles. he President said that today the whole world was in peril due to Covid-19. But he shows his confidence that after recovering from this pandemic we will move rapidly on the path of progress and prosperity and will be successful in realisingAtalji’s dream of making the 21st century India’s century.
INPUTS FROM FIELD OFFICES
- Punjab: Realising the hardships being faced by the people of Punjab during these trying circumstances amid COVID19, the government has decided that the pensions for the month of July paid in August would be disbursed shortly by directly transferring the funds into saving accounts of the beneficiaries under various social security schemes. On Chief Minister’s directives, Social Security Pensions worth Rs 190 Crore has been released for 25.25 Lac beneficiaries.
- Himachal Pradesh: The Chief Minister said that under the Pradhan Mantri GaribKalyanYojana, poor families of the country would be able to avail free ration till November 2020. He said that in the State of HP, direct financial assistance of Rs. 500 per month was provided to 5.90 lakh accounts of women under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan and Rs. 2000 per month to the 8.74 lakh farmers under Pradhan Mantri KisanSammanNidhi. He further thanked the Corona warriors for their valuable contribution and people of the State for their cooperation to comply with the guidelines issued by the government from time to time.
- Maharashtra: The State Health Minister Rajesh Tope has expressed concern over the rise in Covid-19 in rural areas of the state due to the influx of migrants from Mumbai. He observed that despite the spike in numbers, the recovery rate in the state has been satisfactory. Maharashtra has 5.84 lakh reported cases, out of which 1.56 lakh are active cases.
- Gujarat:As many as 23 prisoners of the Rajkot Central Jail in Gujarat have tested positive for Coronavirus. Rapid antigen tests were conducted on 94 inmates and results of 23 of them, including undertrials and convicts, came out positive on Saturday night. Earlier, 11 inmates had tested positive for coronavirus on various occasions. With this, the total number of COVID-19 cases in the jail has gone up to 34. The state has 14,359 active Covid cases in total.
- Rajasthan: The Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court in Jaipur, Justice IndrajitMahanty has tested positive for Covid. The state recorded highest single-day spike of 1,287 fresh Covid cases and 16 deaths on Saturday taking the total infection tally to 59,979. The active cases are 14,265.
- Madhya Pradesh: The number of active cases of COVID-19 has dropped belowTen thousand. Although 1,098 new cases were reported on Saturday, the active cases stood at 9,986.
- Chhattisgarh: With 428 new COVID-19 cases and four deaths, Chhattisgarh’s case count rose to 14,987 and death toll to 134 on Saturday. The day also saw discharge of 189 patients following recovery from the infection. The state has 4,807 active cases now.
- Goa: The state reported 369 new Covid infections during the last 24 hours. BJPleader UtpalParrikar, who is the son of former Goa chief minister ManoharParrikar has tested positive. The number of active cases in Goa is 3,753.
- Kerala:As many as 12 Covid-19 casualties have been reported in the state till noon. The death toll so far is 158. Sunday lockdown has been imposed from today in Malappuram, where the spread of the virus is rampant. Sunday lockdown in Kozhikode has been partially withdrawn following reduction in new clusters. 145 more inmates of Central prison in Thiruvananthapuram have been tested positive. Relaxations have been announced in the containment of the coastal areas in the district. 1,608 new Covid-19 cases were confirmed in Kerala yesterday. 14,891 patients are currently undergoing treatment and 1,60,169 people under observation across the state.
- Tamil Nadu:IMA Tamil Nadu branch has stated that a total of 32 doctors have died of Covid-19 in TN so far and another 15 doctors who died had symptoms of Covid-19 but tested negative for the infection. Covid-19 contact tracing fetches award for TN cyber crime wing during the Independence Day celebrations in Chennai. A majority of the service and non-service PG doctors, who were deputed to Chennai for Covid-19 duty, are yet to receive their salaries for two months. Chennai’s daily count tops 1,000 for the second day in a row with 1,179 new cases yesterday. 5860 new cases, 5236 recoveries & 127 deaths were reported yesterday. Total cases in TN : 3,32,105; Active cases: 54,213; Deaths: 5641.
- Karnataka:State Health Department to supply more automated machines to labs across Karnataka so that RT-PCR results can be obtained in just two hours. A shramik train leaves for Guwahati left from Bengaluru yesterday with 976 people, The three-digit single-day spike in Covid cases continues to haunt Mysuru, with the district reporting 635 fresh cases on Saturday; the total number stands at 9,915. State reported 7908 new cases, 6940 discharges & 104 deaths yesterday. Total cases : 2,11,108; Active cases: 79,201; Deaths: 3717; Discharges: 1,28,182.
- Andhra Pradesh:Though the infections are rising rapidly in Kurnool, the number of people getting discharged from hospitals is also increasing gradually as the district has a recovery rate of 72.46 per cent, second best in the state. Visakhapatnam is set to cross 25,000 mark while 1,316 Covid-19 patients discharged from hospitals. The Covid recovery rate in Kadapa district has improved in the last few days. As many as 6,907 persons were discharged from Covid-19 hospitals and care centres in the past 12 days. 8732 new cases and 87 deaths were reported in the State yesterday. The death toll has reached 2562 and there are 88,138 active cases in the State.
- Telangana: State’s Covid-19 tally breaches 90,000-mark. 1102 new cases, 1930 recoveries & 09 deaths reported in the last 24 hours in the State; out of 1102 cases, 234 cases reported from GHMC. Total cases till now: 91,361; Active cases: 22,542; Deaths: 684; Discharges: 68,126. The recovery rate stands at 74.56 per cent, while it was 71.6 per cent in the country.
- Arunachal Pradesh: In Arunachal Pradesh, 51 new Covid cases have been detected. With the recovery of 23 cases, the total active cases in the state now stands at 882.
- Assam: In Assam, 1593 COVID-19 patients discharged yesterday. With this 53286 patients have been discharged so far in the state and there are 22087 active cases in the state.
- Manipur: 192 new Covid19 cases confirmed in Manipur. Out of these 131 are of Central Security force personnel. There are 1989 active cases of COVID-19 in the state of Manipur with a recovery rate of 55%.
- Mizoram: In Mizoram, the highest number of Covid19 positive confirmed in a day yesterday with 64 new cases. The total COVID-19 tally in the state stands at 777. Out of them 421 are active cases and 356 have been cured so far.
- Meghalaya: Meghalaya reported 64 fresh COVID-19 cases, mostly civilians, while 15 patients also recovered yesterday.
- Nagaland: Nagaland sees lowest single day spike on Saturday with only 18 positive cases. Number of recovered cases stands at 1321.CM of Nagaland informed that Rs 6.8 cr has been collected as COVID Cess till June and the amount has been deposited to state govt’s consolidated fund for use in COVID-19 related activities.
- Sikkim: In Sikkim, 19 new COVID-19 cases found today. With this, the active case in the state stands at 493 and 671 have been discharged so far.